Skip to main content

Cat Philosophy

I was in the waiting room of Honey's dentist, going through many pages of Apps on my iPhone, when I came accross a quotes App, and saw this one:

We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it -- and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lide again -- and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore.
Mark Twain

I read it several times. And after I got over being offended about the fact that he was identified as an "American humorist", as if his brilliant quote should be dismissed as a simple joke, I was amazed by the simplicity and profoundness of the idea. 

We always talk about experiences, and what we learn from them. But what we "learn" from them is merely what happened. The cat sat on a lid and got burnt. Period. That cat will never sit down on any lid again. Period. And as he says, it's good that the cat won't get burnt again by sitting on a hot stove lid; but what about that unbearably hot summer day, when a cold stove lid will do the trick pretty well? The cat will never sit there.

How many times have we taken from an experience only that which happened - and never more?

Honey laughs at me quite often, because I won't eat Dönner. It's a very common Turkish meal in Germany, like a wrap. But the first time I ate a Dönner, I wound up in the hospital, having my gall bladder removed. Now I have three holes in my tummy, and a horrible scar down my belly button. Dönner = colicistectomy.

And that's ridiculous. And I know it. But I can't disassociate the idea, the smell of this meal with the idea and the smell of the hospital. And the pain. 

During Thailand, my most traumatic experience, I think, I sat down and carefully evaluated what was that which was so traumatic. I had no idea I was following Mr. Twain's advice, but I was. I had a job that I liked (most of the time). I had super nice colleagues. I was very, very well paid. I had friends and acquaintances. I had sun, I had warm weather, I had amazing beaches and awesome landscapes. I had enough busy time to keep me thinking, and enough free time to keep me rested. I had internet access. I had my own place. I had almost everything a person needs to be content. Satisfied, at least. 

I could have simply said, I will never go back to Thailand, because Thailand = unhappiness. But I realized what it was that made me unhappy. 

I was alone.

Completely-

and-

utterly-

alone.

If something happened to me, assuming my parents even found out, it would take them three days to get to me. When I saw something worth sharing, I could not call my family right away due to the 12 hour difference. I could not turn around and look at my sister and laugh without saying a word, because we'd both be thinking the exact same thing. I could not walk hand in hand with my loved one, while enjoying a sunset at the beach.

I was alone.

So I made a promise. A promise that I kept. Like, the only New Years' Resolution I have ever and actually kept. 

I promised I would never be alone again. 

Traveling is amazing. Living in new places is amazing. Getting to know the world is amazing. I've discussed this with Isa many times--Isa, who is know living in her, what, 7th country?

But doing it alone is just sad. And boring. 

I learned from my experience, not like the cat. I now know not to sit on the hot stove lid, but I also know how to recognize and enjoy the cold one. 

And a stove lid, with Honey, is the best kind of lid there is. Anywhere in the world.

Comments

  1. Natal... el corazón tiene razones que la razón no comprende. No tengo idea si Pascal en algún momento tambien dijo algo para los gatos.. pero para los humanos, simplemente le dio la razón al corazón.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Myself

I'm well aware of all my identities, past and present. I wear them like masks - some, I have even worn like capes. Proudly displaying them for the world to see and admire. I used to believe that I could "put on" one identity and be authentic, and then "put on" another one and still the authentic. And at least in my heart I was authentic. Natalya, the 16-year-old poet was an authentic identity for me; Natalya, the Journalist was a thrilling identity (that came with an official badge and access to many venues and people I would have otherwise not been able to get close to); Natalya, the Foreigner was (and continues to be!) my favorite identity, the one with which I feel most at ease. Perhaps because it is the simplest one, the one that requires the least amount of work from my side: I just happen to not have been born where I live. I have been living with this identity for 22 years. Most recently, Rolfs-Mutter and Christophs-Mama have joined the ranks of my favori

Challenges

During this peculiar time*, we are all faced with challenges. *I think that I need to clear this up for posterity. Today, we all know that this "peculiar time" refers ro the Coronavirus - COVID-19 Pandemic that is terrorizing the world. Although Germany does not have strict quarantine rules (rather a regulation that prevents gatherings of two or more people not belonging to the same household, both privately and publicly), my husband and I decided that, for the well-being of the family, and since (thanks to my job) I can, I would quarantine with the children at home. Kindergarten (all schools, actually) are closed, so they have to stay home; I have the privilege of being able to work from home, so it all kind of works out. As I write this, I am in my seventh week of quarantine - 45 days.  Before the pandemic and the quarantine, I used to measure my successes (and failures) in years, months perhaps. I say, filled with sadness, that 2019 was the worst year of my life. And a

Enough

I woke up at 6 am today. This wasn't early enough.  I got ready for the day. Took my oldest to school, took my youngest to his yearly check-up, then to Kindergarten. Went to work, handled calls and emails and tasks and had only 2 cups of coffee.  All of this wasn't enough. I picked up my children and their friends, served as carpool for one and as "home for the day" for the other. I prepared a balanced, home-cooked meal from scratch, including potatoes that I had harvested with my children a few weeks earlier - which (I also feel is relevant to point out) we had planted a few months earlier. While the kids ate, I unloaded the dishwasher, cleaned the kitchen and finished a load of laundry. And still, this wasn't enough. One kid was picked up for sport, another kid came to replace him. While the children played, I tended to the garden, I checked the mailbox, I picked up after them, I tidied up a bit. Then I took those 3 kids to their sport and picked up 4 new kids t